Head of Communications and External AffairsSheffield, £38,000 - £50,000 Permanent
Full time, fixed term (maternity cover) for up to 1 year
Salary: £38,000 - £50,000 plus excellent benefits depending on experience.
An opportunity to be part of a dynamic social change charity, working at scale across the UK and internationally.
Our client is looking for a creative, strategic and visionary individual, who thrives in a fast-paced environment, to join them as Head of Communications and External Affairs.
You will lead the companies Communications and External Affairs output, responsible for maintaining and enhancing their profile, and an influencer of Government, the private and third sectors, and of public debate. You’ll also ensure our client delivers an excellent standard of expert communications support to the wider organisation, and to partners. This will include leading on our public affairs strategy, all corporate communications, and activity that supports the charity.
You will also lead an expert, creative team of communications experts who provide support and services across the organisation.
You will have significant experience in a senior marketing or communications role, and will be looking to use these skills to really make a difference. You’ll bring excellent marketing and communications acumen, a strategic mind, and a track record in delivering high-quality marketing and communications activity.
You will be responsible for a portfolio of internal and external activities including events, campaigns, external and stakeholder communications, campaigns, social media, website(s), brand and project-led communications.
Your responsibilities will include:
• Leading a high-impact corporate communications strategy for that continues to build the organisation’s reputation as a world leader in digital and social inclusion.
• Driving and inspiring the Communications and External Affairs team to successfully deliver the strategy, working across the following areas:
o Websites and digital assets
o Brand portfolio
o PR and media relations
o Case studies
o Broadcast and social media
• Working with a range of high profile partners, in corporate organisations, government and other organisations to develop collaborative communications plans.
• Working closely and collaboratively with the Chief Executive and Senior Management Team to lead the organisation’s public affairs and influencing strategy, driving public debate, positioning the organisation at the heart of policy and practice, and influencing Ministers, MPs, civil servants and others.
• Building reputation with a wide range of external stakeholders, raising our profile with key audiences.
• Working with the Research and Data Insights team to create expert and high-impact communications about research evaluation, data and insights through press releases, opinion pieces, external presentations and social media.
You will have experience of:
• Running communications functions including developing and delivering marketing and communications strategies, brand management, PR, public affairs and events.
• Managing, monitoring and where necessary revising complex projects and workstreams to meet organisational objectives and the needs of the network.
• Commissioning and managing external agencies and contractors.
• Being accountable to funders, boards and other stakeholders for the delivery of complex pieces of work including reporting on progress, performance monitoring and evaluation.
• Demonstrable experience of leading teams and managing people.
• Contributing to the development of strategy, business plans and organisational development.
• Empowering staff to perform at their best.
• Delivering and reporting on progress and performance of programmes.
• Demonstrable experience of contributing to the wider corporate needs of an organisation beyond your immediate job description.
With the following education, knowledge and skills:
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Ability to effectively work under tight deadlines and manage projects independently.
• Resourcefulness in solving problems.
• Excellent skills in producing marketing and communications materials.
• Excellent communication, influencing and negotiation skills.
• Ability to think strategically and innovatively and to turn that thinking into realistic plans and workflows.
• Proven experience of delivering and managing successful events.
• Ability to manage flexible teams of staff to achieve challenging delivery objectives.
• Ability to devise and control realistic budgets and keep track of income and expenditure delegated to you and your team.
• It would be beneficial, but not essential, to have an understanding of Government policy (at UK, devolved and local government levels) and a track record of working with senior officials.
• It would be beneficial, but not essential, to have an understanding of communications in an international context.
Due to the amount of applications we receive, unfortunately we are not able to give feedback to all candidates, if you have not heard back within 5 days please assume that you have not been successful for the role you have applied for. We will hold your details on our database and consider you for future opportunities, unless you instruct us otherwise. Good luck with your job search. Many thanks - Pyramid8 Ltd.