Technical Design ManagerSouth Kirkby, £0 Permanent
Salary dependent on experience.
Technical Design Manager - Company Benefits:
• 22 days’ holiday + Bank Holidays
• Life Assurance
• Profit Share Scheme
• Employee Lunches Provided
• Regular Social Events
• Monthly Reward Scheme
• Voluntary Health Cash Plan
Pyramid8 are working with a leading engineering company that specialises in a niche market. This is a fantastic Technical Design Manager opportunity for someone that wants to work within an exciting and market leading industry.
If you have experience, then please read on…
The Technical Design Manager drives the technical realisation of projects and administers the daily operations of the project design team. The role serves as a critical liaison between the project design team and project management, estimating, automation, production, senior management, and clients.
The successful applicant will want to integrate themselves into the team and strive to improve what our client does to ensure they continue to remain the very best in what can be achieved with a little passion and creativity.
• Originate preliminary technical solutions for each project requirement and brainstorm with the Project Design Leads to explore options and determine the preferred technical approaches.
• Red flag any current or potential design crisis as early as possible, so priorities can be rearranged to mitigate the impact.
• Act as one direct client interface, hunting and gathering critical information designers need to maintain forward progress.
• Actively promote and incorporate stock assets as solutions for as many project challenges as possible.
• Collaborate with design team to develop drafting, calculation, documentation, and data storage standards that are consistent across the company.
• Highlight significant scope changes to Project Management that could lead to change orders, or additional sales possibilities leading to additional revenue.
• Serve as primary team contact with third party engineers, while promoting direct collaboration with individual designers.
• Lead detailed technical discussions, exploring multiple approaches before spiralling into the most effective solutions.
• Oversee the big picture of each project to ensure the collaboration of individual element designers and integration of all parts to prevent scope voids or overlaps.
• Maintain a fair balance between the client's artistic goals and the company's profit goals.
• Generate preliminary design hours estimates with the estimating team followed by regular feedback on completion status, and updates to all task lists/schedules in response to evolving scope and resource changes.
• Ensure accurate recording of project design hours plus daily scheduling, approval of holiday time, and forecasting overtime hours required for peak periods.
• Interface with projects team leaders to set priorities and schedule workflow to best meet design and fabrication calendar goals.
• Ensure the proper distribution of design documents to Production, Project management, Health & Safety, Third Party Engineers, and Client Staff.
• Attend kick-off and major client meetings to ensure critical design information flows unencumbered to individual designers.
• Review all design documentation for completeness, safety, reliability, manufacturability, and adherence to budget goals.
• Provide a conduit between design and management to relate group or personal concerns, issues, or suggested improvements.
• Complete appraisals for current staff and collaborate on the hiring of future project/asset design recruits.
• Develop and implement a training regimen for the design team in classroom and hands-on skill improvements.
• Mentor the design team in company processes and approaches plus general industry techniques and knowledge.
• Interface with IT suppliers to ensure necessary departmental computers, phones, printer/copiers, and software is present, functioning, and up to date.
• Actively follow all company employment, fire, health, and safety policies
• Attend staff meetings and trainings as required
• Maintain sound housekeeping standards and always represent the company in a positive manner
• Any other ad-hoc duties as may be required
Skills and Educational Background / Experience:
• Advanced knowledge of structural-mechanical manufacturing components and fabrication techniques.
• Extensive entertainment industry experience, specifically in concert touring automation, scenery, and temporary structures.
• Sound organisational skills for success in a fast paced, creative work environment.
• Strong communication, team leadership, and interpersonal skills for a very collaborative workplace.
• Solid computer proficiency in AutoCAD 3D and Microsoft Office, Solidworks or Inventor a plus
• Degree in Technical Theatre, Mechanical Engineering, Structural Engineering, Architecture, or Product Design, or equivalent industry experience commensurate with an advanced degree.
Hours of work: Full-time 40-hour week, 8:30am to 5:30pm.
Due to the amount of applications we receive, unfortunately we are not able to give feedback to all candidates, if you have not heard back within 5 days please assume that you have not been successful for the role you have applied for. We will hold your details on our database and consider you for future opportunities, unless you instruct us otherwise. Good luck with your job search. Many thanks - Pyramid8 Ltd.